Converta Cradle Swing – Lawsuit & Recall
Product Liability- Design Defect
Graco Converta Cradle Swing can cause positional asphyxia, suffocation
and death. In fact, some children
found dead in this swing may have been misdiagnosed as having died from SIDS,
when in fact the child may have suffocated in the corner of
1992 Graco Converta Cradle Swing Recall by CPSC
In 1992 the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) announced a major safety recall of the Graco Converta-Cradles models 1600, 1730, 1801 and 1830 being undertaken voluntarily by Graco Children’s Products Company of Elverson, PA. (SEE RECALL).
The recall concerned the Graco Converta-Cradle Swing with straight legs, in which the infant swings from head to foot (see model), not the models where the infant is rocked from side to side.
Graco Cradle Injuries Discovered
Nationwide a number of reports of injuries and death are involved with the recalled models. The CPSC and Graco received reports of near or total suffocation of infants in the cradle portion of the swing while it was suspended from the swing motor. In many of these cases, the infant was found face down into the plastic liner or in the corner pushed into the nylon mesh at the end of the swing style (see photos). Oftentimes, these infants were diagnosed of having died as a result of Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS), when other medical causes of positional asphyxia or suffocation were over looked. Further, in many of the cases reported the position of the infant in the cradle was not thoroughly investigated by the health officials and the dead infant was diagnosed with the catchall diagnosis of SIDS.
Products Liability Theories of Liability Against Graco:
1) Graco failed to act as a reasonably prudent manufacturer to adequately protect the infant using its product.
2) Graco failed to adequately test the safety of the Converta-Cradle subject to the recall.
3) Graco failed to identify and correct the design problems that caused the injuries and death to infants.
4) Graco failed to properly monitor the safety performance of the Graco Converta Cradle after its sale and use by the public.
5) Graco failed to properly warn consumers (parents) of the dangers of suffocation and death of the known dangers to an infant in the Graco Converta Cradle.
6) Graco failed to conduct a nationwide recall and thorough public announcement of all of these recalled models in order to eliminate the hazard after Graco first learned of this cradles potential dangers to infants.
Graco Lawsuits & Legal Actions
If you have one of these cradles still in use, STOP using it immediately!! Further use could seriously injure or kill an infant. If your child experienced a near suffocation or died from positional asphyxia, suffocation or was diagnosed with SIDS while using the GRACO Converta-Cradle, then you may have a products liability claim for your personal injuries, medical expenses and other losses.
We have successfully battled with Graco before over this defect concerning a infant that was found dead, head first into the corner of the Graco Converta Cradle Swing. SIDS was originally believed to be the cause of death. The mother of the child contacted Mr. Willis and a lawsuit was commenced. After many months of depositions and discovery a very substantial settlement was reached in this case. We are very experienced with the problem.
CONTACT A PRODUCT LIABILITY LAWYER
If your loved one have been injured by a dangerous or defective product, then call and talk to an experienced products liability trial attorney now. Call us if we can help.! FREE CONFIDENTIAL CONSULTATION at 1-800-883-9858 or 1-800-468-4878 Toll Free